The short answer to the question, “Why should I hire a professional photographer?” You want amazing photos, right? But really, there’s more to it than that, and I’ll try to break it down for you.
First of all, if you’re considering hiring a professional photographer, then you, the client, probably have something important coming up. Perhaps an engagement, maybe a wedding, an anniversary, a vacation. Just as a publication such as Vogue wouldn’t pick someone off the street to photograph an editorial, you also probably want to put some thought into it as opposed to just asking your friend to photograph your wedding. While your friend might take great photos, here are the top 10 reasons I think everyone should consider hiring a professional:
1. Perspective. Professional photographers understand a great deal about composition and how to frame an image. When you hire a professional, you are not only hiring them for their skills, but also their unique perspective.
2. Equipment. A professional photographer will have professional gear: camera bodies, lenses, etc. to take the best possible quality for you and your family and friends.
3. Professionalism. Whether on set in a studio or on location, someone who does this job for a living will act like, you guessed it, a professional! They will show up on time if not early and will be prepared to get to work. This is not to say we don’t have fun with our work, but we also take every job seriously and treat clients with the respect they deserve.
4. Respect. A professional photographer does not have their own agenda, the end goal is to provide you, the client, with photographs you will love and are happy with. Your friend might not be interested in getting the same shots in as you really want. The end result should be what YOU want, and a professional will work with you to be sure you get exactly that.
5. Experience. A professional photographer has taken the time to learn, practice and develop their craft. Your friend might be an enthusiastic hobbyist, but the amount of time they’ve spent practicing photography will not equal that of a professional.
6. Creativity. Photographers are creative by nature…it is a creative profession after all, and they love coming up with fun, interesting and different ways to shoot anything and everything.
7. Observant. When you want that ONE shot…hire a professional. You want to capture that moment when you kiss after saying “I do,” or the last seconds of the game when the winning goal was made, or the few smiling minutes you got from your crying newborn. You hire a professional when it really counts.
8. Skill. A professional photographer is not only an experienced photographer, but also an editor. Often they do their own post-processing or have someone on their team to do it. So, if you know want quality editing and not a quick touch-up from your friend who likes to play with Photoshop, it’s a good idea to go with a professional.
9. Positivity. You want someone with a positive attitude to make you feel comfortable. Being photographed can make people nervous sometimes, and a professional photographer is used to working with a lot of people all the time. They don’t just like what they do, they LOVE what they do and want to share that with their clients.
10. Peace of mind. Working with a professional can put you at ease that your photos are going to be exactly what you expected, if not better. When you know you can count on your photographer, it makes planning big events such as a wedding just a little bit less stressful and that’s always a good thing.
Do you have any other tips to add to the list?